Thursday, September 2, 2010

Youtube vs Google video?


I've just visited the Youtube and Google video sites and have discovered the following videos from the fun, to the educational and informative:

When "Lego" was searched - I found a multitude of popular artists recreated in lego. I found music clips involving Michael Jackson to the band Queen's performance of Bohemian Rhapsody, television shows like Batman and Robin and video games like Pacman. [Fun]

When "Liverpool plains" was searched - Videos on the issues of mining were found [Educational]

When "Kogarah" was searched - Videos on local farmers showing you their land were found. [Informative]

Youtube vs Google video?

The main difference between the two seems to be in the content shown. If I was looking for a video which was from an authoritative source which would provide me with more information I would use Google video as this site directs you to the original source that the video was from. For instance, when one searches for a video on the crows nest of the Titanic (where the look outs first spotted the iceberg) one can be redirected to the Discovery Channel. Other videos on the Titanic can also be found here without having to look too far.

Searching on youtube for the same topic brings up a lot more results on videos added by people on things also on the titanic e.g. songs from the movie of the titanic but not actually on the requested topic. Google video indexes their videos in a way which is easier to search with more exact results located.

** So I would use Youtube to search for fun, interesting videos which I would be happy to browse through. However, I would use Google video if I was looking for educational and informative videos which could be located quickly with the use of keywords.


No comments:

Post a Comment