Sunday, November 11, 2012

Back to del.icio.us

In going back to delicious, I was momentarily surprised to discover that my delicious account no longer existed, even though I thought I had migrated it when prompted way back when changes to delicious's ownership was happening... and my user name still existed, as I discovered when I tried to create another account with my real name.

Once that hurdle had been crossed and I had refreshed my memory by reading the help section on delicious I was able to save links again quite easily. 
----------------------
One new reason to like delicious (as much time has passed since I last used it) was that it will save me a lot of time saving bookmarks/favourites to the multiple web browsers I have since installed on my computer.

Why do I have more than one web browser?
Because not every browser would let me use all of the tools I had installed on my computer.

When online I would save websites of interest but if I couldn't remember which browser I had saved it on I would have to check what was stored for the browser I was currently using and would then have to save it again, and again until all browsers shared the same information.
---------------------------
My attempts at searching delicious using my browser address bar just seemed to result in a jumbled mess of sites which were not really relevant to my search terms. for e.g. http://delicious/tag/books+fantasy
got me sites from for e.g. 

http://www.deliciousorchardsnj.com/ --> which offers "baked goods, the finest meats and cheeses with a unique deli, prepared foods, and grocery sections" 
------------------------
Searching my links using the search box when logged on to my delicious account also was a bit hit and miss.  Even tags that I could see quite clearly existed sometimes did not appear when searched for!

The steps for finding new bookmarks from the public libraries blog 
(http://publiclibrariesnewtechnologies.blogspot.com.au/2009/11/delicious.html) 
didn't work as the delicious inbox was empty!
 --------------------------
So, although I have rediscovered a use for using delicious, it doesn't really go beyond keeping my favourite website links in one place as I have found that searching the web provides better results than searching delicious.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment